It's OFFICIAL! Jim McGuigan is now KNEG’s authorized IRS "Certifying Acceptance Agent." We are now able to expedite the processing of Form W-7, application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Who needs that you ask? Well... The IRS issues ITINs to foreign nationals and others who have federal tax reporting or filing requirements and do not qualify for SSNs. A non-resident alien not eligible for an SSN, who is required to file a U.S. tax return only to claim a refund of tax under the provisions of a U.S. tax treaty, needs an ITIN.
What is a Certifying Acceptance Agent?
A Certifying Acceptance Agent (CAA) is an entity authorized by IRS to assist individuals in obtaining ITINs. That entity can be an individual, business, or organization (college, financial institution, accounting firm, etc.). CAAs review the documentation provided by the individual applicant and complete a certificate of accuracy. Then they submit the certificate and completed application along with a tax return to the IRS for processing. Without the certification of the CAA, an applicant would be required to mail their passport or other identification directly to the IRS for certification.
What services do Certifying Acceptance Agents offer?
- Meet with the applicant and assist in the completion of the IRS Form W7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number.
- Review the required documentation to verify a foreign individual’s status. Complete the paperwork and submit the ITIN on the applicant’s behalf.
- Certify to the IRS that the individual’s application is complete, accurate and that the documentation they provided for review is authentic. This eliminates the need for the original identifying documents being submitted to the IRS with the application.
- Receive the individual’s ITIN directly from the IRS and communicate with the agency on matters regarding the ITIN issuance.
- Expedited ITIN application service with the IRS. The agency processes ITIN applications submitted by a CCA before processing those applications submitted directly by ITIN applicants.
If you have any questions regarding Certifying Acceptance Agent services or IRS Form W-7, please feel free to contact KNEG CPAs at 772-231-6902. We’ll be happy to assist you!